Passport Release


Federal law requires that a parent with a past due child support obligation of $2,500 or greater shall not be issued a passport.

How can I remove the hold from my passport?

In California, you must pay off your child support past due and bring your balance to zero ($0.00) for your passport to be issued or renewed.

If you have immediate travel plans, a release can be submitted immediately if you walk in and pay by cash or cashier’s check. If not, your release will be completed once your payment has cleared the bank and posted to the account.

If you have the passport denial letter, have it handy when you call or bring it with you to our office. Our office will fax a release request once your child support balance is paid in full.



Some exceptions:

  • Mistaken identity
  • Imminently ill immediate family member
  • Death of an immediate family member


If you have had a death of an immediate family member or have a family member who is imminently ill in another country, your case will be reviewed for temporary (30 day) release without full payment. Here is what we will need:

  • Notarized letter from the doctor providing care
  • Letter needs to be translated to English


Key Facts:

  • Passport will not be permanently released unless you pay the balance in full
  • Temporary release will activate your passport for 30 days
  • The State Department of Child Support Services Passport Unit will notify you by phone regarding the status of your passport.


Appeal Process - if passport is needed for employment

If you cannot pay the balance in full and need to travel for work, you may apply for an appeal by calling 888-898-1745.


For more information contact us. We are here to help.